4.1.11

A New Year's Resolution

So today marks the beginning (plus 4 days) of the year 2011. Of the various resolutions I made for this year (nothing too strenuous, mostly things to keep my life on track) one of the main ideas that i set forth for myself is to use and involve creativity much more in my life. Laziness and mental tracks set in and it makes it difficult to break free from a monotonous lifestyle. I feel guilty, guilty for not writing more than I should, guilty for not reading all the great books I lined up for myself in what seems like years ago, and guilty for doing nothing about it. I take an idea, grind it out furiously in the beginning, and as the early adrenaline of creation slowly wears off, other things miraculously come up, and before I know it I hardly touch my creative child and instead leave it to rot. Video games, early to sleep/early to work and social gatherings involving travel keep me from doing what I know I truly need - to create. To create ideas, words, worlds, unlocking emotions and thoughts, expressions and beliefs, depicting the world differently than I ever would.

 So, As I began this new year, two thousand and eleven, I decided to write. I would not only pick up some old stories I began a while back and complete them, as well as write (the goal is THREE) new short stories during the year, but to keep myself honest, I decided to write one free-verse poem (my favorite kind) every day for the entire year. Today is January the 4th, and thus far I have three short poems created. These can and will depict almost anything my mind comes across, can and will be short or long, and can (and almost always will) be cryptic and rise from deep within.

The medium that I have been using to record these poems has been through my Droid on an app that syncs up and saves my notes on an online account which can be accessed on my computer. I thought I would eventually string them together - then today, I had the idea to just write them to Twitter, to have them floating near the public eye. However, After posting the first two days' poems to Twitter I have come to find that you have no room to write anything of value on that site. So I will write through my phone, then post on this blog, and finally update on Twitter the arrival of the days' creation. The best part is nobody reads this stuff so it is mainly for me- but you never know who might stumble across it.

So without further adou, I begin the journey of my own mind through free-verse poetry, my life in 2011. Cheers, and Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment